Please note: learners are limited to taking part in a maximum of THREE community learning courses throughout the academic year.
Breathworks Mindfulness for Stress. Are you feeling anxious or have low mood, or feel stressed, over-tired or would like to restore balance in everyday life?
At the end of this course you will have a foundation in the skills of mindfulness, compassion, and meditation, and know how to apply them in your life in a way that really makes a difference.
Mindfulness practice is not always suitable for people in acute phases of depression or if you have a serious mental illness diagnosis. If you’re going through a big change, moving house, or bereavement it maybe not the best time. Consider where you are in life, do you have best conditions to learn, do home practice? The first session is an orientation session so you can find out more about Mindfulness practice and whether it is right for you.
You will learn:
• How breath and body awareness can transform stress;
• Supportive mindful movement practices
• The art of taking joy in simple pleasures
• How to overcome your ‘negativity bias’
• Mindfulness and self-compassion skills in your daily life
The course will include:
• A balance of teaching, questions and discussion, and guided meditation
• Daily home guided meditation practice of 20 mins a day
• Teaching and practices to help you develop mindfulness, calm, and resilience
• A Breathworks accredited mindfulness teacher to answer your questions and address difficulties every week with personalised advice.
For the home practice you will need access to a quiet space, downloads to your device and access to internet.
There is no qualification for this course but you will receive a certificate of attendance if you complete the course.
You can explore a variety of other courses within Community Learning or the adult college.
Participants on this course will need to buy a book to accompany the course. The book is The Little Mindfulness Workbook by Gary Hennessey, which is available from all major bookshops. The cost will be approximately £8.
Please contact the Community Learning team on 030 300 38212 or email@example.com for more information about this course.
The first session is a 1.5 hour orientation session and will be delivered online via Zoom.